- Our organization dates back over 49 years, to the time of its founding in 1968 by Conductor James A. Swift. Then called the Los Angeles Solo Repertory Orchestra, the group was 75 members strong and featured well-known soloists and a top-notch orchestral ensemble. The LASRO was in demand to perform with local choruses, opera groups and ballet companies. The group premiered numerous major new works and made it a special priority to feature rarely-heard works of the masters, the “lesser worn works”, in addition to well-loved favorite orchestral literature.
- In recognition of its expanding scope and repertoire, the LASRO was renamed with its current title, the New Valley Symphony Orchestra, in 1996.
- Building on the progress fostered by Jim Swift, Co-Conductors Bethany Pflueger and Michael Avedissian together brought new energy and enthusiasm to the group in the mid-2000’s. Beth and Michael ably maintained the focus of the group on balancing traditional favorite repertoire with more challenging modern pieces, including some works composed by members of the Orchestra.
- Our next Music Director, Armen Garabedian, served from 2007 until his untimely passing in 2011. Armen brought renewed focus on the performance qualities of the Orchestra, sharing with the Orchestra a personal drive to bring the ensemble to its full performing potential. Armen left the group thriving, proud of its accomplishments, and committed to enriching its audience’s lives by offering the best of the classical and modern repertoire, delivered under the highest performance standards.
- Our following Music Director, Dr. A. Phoenix Delgado, served from 2012 to 2015 and continued the upward trajectory of the Orchestra, performing both traditional and newer, innovative Orchestral works. These have included our first "pops" concert, featuring the music of Henry Mancini.
- In 2016 Michael Christ Powers was appointed as the sixth Music Director of the New Valley Symphony Orchestra.
- With the support of our audience members and donors, we will continue our 47 year tradition of providing an uplifting experience for Southern California audiences and musicians alike, with a new Music Director to be selected in 2016. We hope you will join us in this rewarding journey!